Search Box

Saturday 6 June 2009

Wayne wants central role

Wayne Rooney admits he may have to become more selfish to secure himself his preferred role as a central striker in Sir Alex Ferguson's blueprint.

The firebrand Merseysider is relishing the chance to line up as England's out-and-out forward against Kazakhstan this weekend, having been deployed on the left side of United's attack during the latter stages of the season.

“The position I play for England is the one I like playing most,” Rooney told a press conference. "I haven’t played that position for a while for United.

"When you're playing out on the left you have responsibilities to get back a bit more. Sometimes that takes away a bit of energy from your attacking.

"It’s the manager’s choice. I’ve always said my best position is playing up front. Maybe I need to be more selfish to get the role I want."

Rooney enjoyed his second-highest scoring season with United last term, bagging 20 goals from 49 appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment