Search Box

Saturday 6 June 2009

Rooney eyes record

Rooney wants to be a record breaker

Wayne Rooney last night admitted he wants to become the first man to score 50 England goals - and become the country's greatest record-breaker. In-form Rooney, thrilled by getting the licence to attack with England that he is denied by his left-sided role at Manchester United, arrived in Kazakhstan late on Wednesday in a rich vein of international scoring form. Sir Bobby Charlton's 49-goal tally remains the chart leader for England, 37 years after he ended his career after 106 caps. And while Rooney is behind that mark with 21 so far, he said: "Of course I would love to become the leading England goal-scorer. I'm still a long way away but it's something I am looking at and it would be a privilege if I could do that. Looking at the way my career has gone, I do think it's possible. Since I signed for United, playing in the Champions League has given me a lot of experience and that's showing in my last year for England. Now I'm enjoying playing for England more than I ever have. That's because of the way we're playing and the fact that we're winning - when you are winning you will enjoy it."
Martin Lipton, Daily Mirror

Brace yourself for déjà vu. In transfer news, widespread reports suggest Real Madrid are again going to spend the summer chasing Cristiano Ronaldo. The Daily Mirror says United will sell the winger for £75million, while The Independent claims Real have to sign Ronaldo, or else face a £26million penalty after signing a pre-contract agreement with the player's agent, Jorge Mendes, last summer.

Round up by Steve Bartram

No comments:

Post a Comment