Search Box

Thursday 28 May 2009

Blog : We'll learn from this lesson

After reading a lot of threads on the Talking Reds message board, covering a lot of different opinions, I thought I'd post my views.

As poor as some individual performances were last night, I think there is a very good reason for this - every time a United player got the ball there were usually at least two opposition players chasing him down and pressurising him into making a mistake. Yes, the Reds should have done better and dealt with this but credit to Barcelona's off-the-ball play.

In contrast, I noticed there was simply too much space and time for Barcelona's players between the 18-yard line and the halfway line in our half. The killer second goal came as a result of them being able to controll the ball, run with it and pick out the cross with no pressure. It happened all night - we allowed them to play and pass easily.

I don't think that Rooney should play on the left wing, he just wasn't effective, but we didn't have anyone else to do the job there last night and maybe that needs looking at.

I agree with Sir Alex's decision to play Ronaldo up front, largely because I don't think he would have tracked back if he played on the wing, but it's another area that requires consideration. We have Tevez (or maybe not next season?), Berbatov and Rooney, all of them strikers but two started on the bench and one on the left wing. For me, the team didn't look balanced.

As much as I like Park and the energy he puts in, the class of Barcelona's players really showed against him on the night; same goes for Anderson. Overall I think Barcelona were just the better side. It wasn't a case of our players not being able to play - Barcelona just stopped us and made us look like the lesser side.

Off the ball they chased and pressured us. On the ball they were composed and had too much time. Iniesta and Xavi, in particular, were excellent.

The difference between the teams last night was a bit worrying for me. But we will learn from this and come back better and stronger.

The views expressed in this blog are personal to the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Manchester United FC.

No comments:

Post a Comment