Search Box

Tuesday 19 May 2009

Blog : United are smiles better

For a game against Arsenal, Saturday’s match action was strangely forgettable. It was the result that mattered the most to the majority of the 75,000 fans lucky to be inside Old Trafford and no sooner had the final whistle sounded a chant of ‘18 times and that’s a fact’ bellowed out from the Stretford End, signifying the successful conclusion to another title race.

For so long Liverpool fans have been able to deflect our taunts about their title drought by saying they had won it more times than us – well that certainly isn’t going to be the case now. To use a word our rivals manager, Rafa Beneathus (sorry – Benitez!) became very fond of earlier this year; Manchester United are Champions of England – FACT!

Sheer unbridled and unfettered joy; those are the best words I can find to describe how I felt when I heard the full-time whistle at Old Trafford. Never has 90 minutes seemed to pass so slowly but conversely, never has time flown by as quickly as it did for the celebrations afterwards.

In my last blog for ManUtd.com I stated that winning the title this season would mean as much to me as the first one we achieved in my lifetime back in the 1992/93 season, but I have to admit that I was wrong – it actually means so much more. Amongst my family and friends I am not known for having a cheery disposition, but since Saturday I have barely stopped smiling.

Some of my friends are Liverpool fans and they have been incommunicado since that time – I wonder why? Just 16 years ago it seemed inconceivable that as a club we would ever be in the position to equal Liverpool’s title-winning pedigree. That we've done just that is quite simply fantastic.

From my front row seat I had one of the best views in the stadium as the

players, staff and families celebrated together on the pitch. In the stands supporters sang until they were hoarse, clapped until their hands were raw, laughed as Anderson marched with the soldiers and Evra mimicked Rafa’s ‘it’s all over gesture.’ Quite simply, we had a whale of a time.

The 2008/09 season has been one that I will never forget and being part of the party at Old Trafford at the end of the final home game was an exhilarating experience. In 12 months time I hope to be experiencing it all over again as we celebrate a 19th league title and another piece of history in becoming the first club to win the league four times in a row. Success is addictive and I want more…and more…and more...

The only fitting way to close this blog is say a huge thank you to the players, coaching staff and of course, Sir Alex, for their combined efforts since last August to once again prove that Manchester United are the best club in England – FACT!

The views expressed in this blog are personal to the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Manchester United FC.

No comments:

Post a Comment